Monday, August 16, 2010

The Super Sitter

In the past 10 years, my husband and I have had far too few dates. And in all this time, we have only taken two overnight trips without the children. The biggest reason for this is sitters. There are only a few teens I would trust with my high-management kids. Not any 13-year-old+ will do here. Add to this, we have only one family-member in state and she is just not going to watch my children (that’s another story). So, more often than not, we've done without and just stayed at home.

But this summer, my friends have introduced me to the rare pleasure of the Super Sitter. My own personal version of a true Super Hero, these are young college age women who are studying language, nutrition, psychology, etc. and who not only have experience with special needs children but also hope to work with them in the future. Not only do they drive, but they come home from college eager to work and gain a little more experience while they earn some money.

When I handed my children off to one of the two Super Sitters I met this summer, I experienced a rare treat. She spoke my particular parenting dialect, the one full of words like transition, GF/CF, etc. She was completely understanding when I explained, he has sensory issues. When Super Sarah responded that she also kept a gluten-free diet, C.S. nearly exploded, “you do!?!?!,” and even though he had just met her minutes before, he couldn’t help but give her a huge hug on the spot, he was so immensely thankful and obviously felt and immediate connection with her. It was all I could do to keep from doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog