Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cashing In

We have an appointment for C.S. today and another scheduled for Friday. Today, I will pull $450 from our health insurance savings account to cover the Doctor's fees. Although we'll go to the same office, this will not be an option on Friday. We will be meeting with a social worker and so then I will pull out my check book and sign away $200. But I love these appointments. I think they are the key to making tremendous headway and I am glad we've started on this path. Of course I know the autism mantra — early intervention is key — and he is eight. I feel late to the game. So, two appointments in one week doesn't faze me because right now nothing could feel more imperative. Still, while we've staunched the tears that once flowed too threateningly, we are now hemorrhaging cash.

I freelance to earn money for the family and am fortunate to have found a reliable client with a steady flow of work. I left my salaried position to allow me more time to advocate for my son. It has proved to be a full time job. All of this is incredibly rewarding, but of the two positions I hold, there is no more gratifying compensation than seeing my children, their health and happiness, improve. Unfortunately one is desperately dependent on the other. This makes me an incredibly busy woman.

But I'm worried I won't be able to keep this up. I've got my fingers crossed hoping I can convince the insurance company to cover a greater portion of the fees while also trying to will the deductible to hurry up and be met so we can begin to receive some reimbursements. We are running out of money. But, this, these therapies and the advancements they promise, is not an opportunity I could turn down. I will spend whatever it takes. I have every intention to cash in, somehow.

Silver Lining: After this expensive week, I just may have meet his deductible. Even if I'm not able to convince the insurance company to cover a greater portion of the fees, yet, at least we may be well on our way to receiving our first reimbursement check. And then that money will just cycle right back into the process and I'll have a little more available to pay for the next appointment.

3 comments:

  1. Followed you from your comment at Professor Mother -- I just wanted to let you know that I love your silver lining at the end of each post. What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is why the research is "proving" how expensive autism is. In the "Autism Every Day" video by Autism Speaks, one parent notes how they are sending their son to Harvard, year after year after year. Good luck... and remember to eat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, don't you just love how research has to "prove" our experience. :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog