Monday, November 8, 2010

Words to Live By

Just wanted to quickly follow up on our new Girl Scout Troop, because it in itself is a huge ray of sunshine. Our first meeting was very positive and we have five girls in our membership. In the end, two girls who had considered switching decided not to. I've learned that the parents had a meeting and were able to smooth out many problems. This is much better. These girls had been in their troop since kindergarten. That their families could work out their problems without resorting to troop divorce, is wonderful and we are all happy for them. I'd like to think this means our decisions have been a catalyst for positive change for both troops.

As for our first meeting, it was wonderful. We outlined our goals for the year and explored a troop motto. I am encouraged by everything the girls wish to accomplish and how they have chosen to define themselves so far. I noticed more than one proposed motto included the word "strong."

We also chose to include a lot of traditional girl scout ceremony in our meeting including reciting the Promise and the Law. The Girl Scout Promise is brief, only 4 lines, but those lines are packed with weighted phrases such as my honor, to serve, to help and to live by... Perhaps most encouraging however is that although lofty, these words are clearly not something we simply recite and repeat. For our troop, these words have real meaning, now more than ever. And I believe, it is a promise our troop clearly intends to keep.

The Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.


The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.

2 comments:

  1. Who needs silver linings when the sun shines so brightly? :-)

    Congratulations on a job well-started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the Joy with me JoyMama!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog