Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It Hit

"I'm melting!"

C.S. had a huge meltdown the other night, the type of which we haven't seen in years. But he's not the only one. I had mine too, this morning. Who wouldn't. After the CT closing was delayed for the second time in a week, after tending to a sick son and a trip to the dentist for my cracked tooth, after we passed on the house we had hoped to purchase after inspections revealed more problems than we expected (and we expected a lot)...after all that...I added one thing too many. I know what put me over the edge, but it was something I was still determined to do because of its long term benefits. Of course that simply meant that my reaction was delayed until my determination was not so strong nor my defenses fortified. And so ... Mama had a melt down in the car in the middle of a traffic jam on the way to camp.

Silver Lining: Hey, I was prepared for it. I knew it was coming. I took a cue from C.S.'s strategies. Count something. Count the cars. Count stripes. Even if counting dashes in the center line seems silly, count down to calm. The means to a better end. And then turn around, literally, everything needs to head in a new direction. We retreated. How I wish I had ruby slippers to transform me "home" and out of the vortex. But if without slippers, I can drive there too. And so we didn't go to camp this morning, but we did what we all could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog